OP: coming and going

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 19 16:54:46 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> However, some Dhegiha forms - I'd have to look them up - treat the stem
as h-initial, e.g, I think Ks has A1 phu, A2 s^u, A3 hu, but vertitive gu,
if I'm remembering this rightly.  OP has A1 phi, A2 s^i, but A3 i and
vertitive gi.  The OP i, not *hi is a surprise in an h-stem, but
consistent with a ?-stem.

John, my understanding is that OP has ppi, 'I came', for the A1 of i, as
well as pHi, 'I went', for the A1 of hi.  I'm pretty sure I've gotten our
speakers to agree to this on more than one occasion.  Is that not what your
information shows?

I believe s^i works in both directions.

Rory