Crow-Hidatsa Plural Marking

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Thu May 25 22:30:56 UTC 2006

In a message dated 5/24/2006 10:06:52 AM Mountain Standard Time,
John.Koontz at colorado.edu writes:
Fresh from an illuminating series of comments from John Boyle on Hidatsa,
I take it verbs agree with subject and object using one plural slot in the
usual Siouan way (but not the usual Hidatsa way)?

That's right.

And I take it that nouns can be pluralized when arguments of verbs, and
not just when predicative or possessed?

Yes.
Any constraints on when or when
not?
Plural marking does not occur on the noun when it is followed by the definite
article -sh.  In general, Crow tends to be parsimonious in marking nouns
plural.  For example in a sentence like bishke' bahu'iluk 'dogs bark' only the
verb has plural marking.  This is an area that needs more research!

Randy