"WOUND"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon May 8 01:08:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> I wonder if we might be mixing ?oo 'shoot and hit' with o- 'into,
> within'??  It makes sense that this verb might well use the 'inside'
> locative prefix.  And if it often does, then the glottal stop would give
> the appearance of moving to the right (as it does in Crow, Hidatsa and
> Mandan anyway).  So if we find something like o?o, it probably involves
> the instrumental, not movement of [?] to a syllable coda.

But, against that, we only find the medial glottal u? ~ u?u in Hidatsa and
the final glottal in (Hidatsa and) Mandan u?.  Croww just has uu' ~ uua',
though that implies ? per the reasoning you and Randy have put forth.
And nowhere do we find a trace of the distinctive patterns of inflection
with locatives that we find in Crow-Hidatsa (with VC-form pronouns in
PRO-LOC-STEM) or Mississippi Valley (with standard CV-form pronouns in
LOC-PRO-STEM).

> Movement only occurs in the North, where it seems to be an areal
> feature.  IF we assume that [?] was part of the onset (an assumption
> that may not be entirely justified), then it remains as part of the
> onset in OVS and MVS but moves to the coda in MA, CR, HI.
>
> CR  *?V  >  *V?  >  VV'(a) [revised per later comment]
> HI  *?V  >  V? ~ V?V       [per CSD, but no idea what distribution is]
> MA  *?V  >  *V?            [? appears when -e is added, etc.]
>
> BI   *?V  >  *hV  (word initial)
> TU  maybe the same as BI but relying on only one "Saponi" transcription?

> I've reconstructed the outer instrumentals from older incorporations of
> verbs nominalized by wa-.

I'm afraid I'm still using a legacy mailer.  I'm having problems with
accented vowels when not on my home system, and I'm also having problems
with telling who's saying what.  I suspect people are falling back on
different fonts or colors again.  My apologies.  I think I must be the
only person having problems with this!

> Outer instrumentals:
>
>          by  shooting      by cutting         by temperature
> PSi      *wa?o'o-          *wahaa             *aRa'a-

  PS(JEK)  *w-?o'-           *w-?a'-            *w-ra'-

> CR        oo-               aa-                ala'-
> HI                          ha-                ara'-
> MA                          wa'-                ra'-

  PMV      *Woo'-            *Waa'-              *Raa'-

> LA        wo-               wa-                 na-
> DA        bo-               ba-                 na-
>
> CH        boo-              ba-                 da'a-
> WI        boo-              maNaN-              taa-
>
> OP        mu(u)'-           ma(a)'-             na(a)'-
> KS        bo'-              ba'-                da'a-
> OS        po'-              pa'-                ta'a-
> QU        po'-              pa'-                ta'a-
>
> BI        oo'-  (fide Kaufman)                  ada'--
> OF                                              ata-
> TU                                              ala~na-

I changed OP o to u.  I think muu- and maa- are probably long, as well as
naa-.  Since there are cases where falling and level accents occur I think
I might prefer VV' for level and V'V for falling.  For example, I thin it
would be (in OP), for mu(u)=se 'tosever with a shot':

A1  mu(u)'=ase    [mwa'ase]
A2  muu'=dhase
A3  muu'=sa(=i)

Or, for a(a)'gdhiN 'to sit on'

A1  a(a)'agdhiN
A2  a'dhagdhiN
A3  aa'gdhiN(=i)

In the first persons I'm writing (V) where I'm not sure how to handle the
situation orthographically.  There I doubt we have a tripple long vowel
senquence, but we have the consequences of combining VV' with V.
Elsewhere I'm writing (V) to indicate probable length.

Coming back to the PMV row I inserted,

  PS(JEK)  *w-?o'-           *w-?a'-            *w-ra'-

I notice that *W accounts more or less for the faintly possible first
persons of *?oo 'wound' based on Teton A1 hibu for A3 hiyu and on the Crow
inflection (can't tell from *w- and *r-).  The 'shoot' and 'cut'
instrumenhtals show the *W set in MVS.  Maybe PS *w?- > PMV *W and PS
*w-r- > PMV *pr ~ *R.  The 'heat, spontaneous' set in *w-ra'- might be
more complex, given the a- intials in CH and SE.  As far as length and
accentuation, I think these forms are long or show the accentual
consequences of it (initial accent) in MV, but I've also noticed that the
first persons of *r-stems are accented like this:

A1  *p- rV(V)'...
A2  *s^-rV(V)'...
A3      rV...'

in MVS, per the behavior of OP and Winnebago:

     OP             Wi
A1   b -dhV(V)'...      dVV...'
A2   s^-nV(V)'...   s^V-rVV...'
A3      dhV...'         rV...'

So a contracted CV => C syllable in the prefixal morphology seems to count
as a mora in itself.

(Incidentally, Jimm, thanks for starting a very interesting discussion,
all around!)