Dakota active stative reduplication

Kyle, John H jkyle at ku.edu
Wed May 24 21:38:35 UTC 2006

I hope someone could help clarify some questions for me.
Boas & Deloria (1941) and Shaw (1980) give examples of reduplicated stative verbs in Dakota which have 2nd syllable stress and reduplicated active verbs which have initial stress:
Stative:
/puz/     puspu'za     'be dry'
/sak/     saksa'ka      'be hard and stiff'
/sap/     sapsa'pa     'be black'

Active:
/Gop/     Go'pGopa     'to snore'
/yuz/     yu'syuza       'to take hold of'

They also give examples where a reduplicated stative verb can become active by moving the 2nd syllable stress to the initial syllable:

/xop/     xopxo'pa     'to be good-looking'
              xo'pxopa     'to pose, try to appear one's best'

/ks^aN/     ks^aNks^aN'     'to be crooked'
                   ks^aN'ks^aN    'he wriggles his body about'

My questions:
Most of the glosses for these forms are given as infinitives (the last example is the only one which isn't) so my questions concern actual inflected forms.  Are reduplicated stative verbs only used for Plural inanimate subjects or can other subjects pronominal affixes occur with them?
How about reduplicated active verbs?
What are some of the other ways that stative verbs can become active in Dakota?

and finally, the examples given in Shaw are mostly CVC roots.  The only V final roots given are:
/slo/    sloslo'    'be soft and slimy'
/so/     so'so      'to cut in thin strips'
and she notes that they only occur in reduplicated form (they are also monosyllabic roots).  Does this initial stress on active reduplicated verbs only occur on CVC and monosyllabic V final roots?

Thanks alot

John Kyle