Funny W

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Nov 3 21:58:25 UTC 2006

>> (If I'm understanding aright, you favor prenasal stops: *W = *mb, *R =
*nd, while Bob favors laryngeal-semivowel clusters: *W = *?w/*hw, *R =
*?r/*hr.  Correct?)

> For me these could be written *mw and *nr respectively.  There are some
problems in that these would have to be intermediate clusters.  We don't
reconstruct *m, *n in Proto-Siouan.

That [*mw and *nr] is in reference to John's [*W = *mb, *R = *nd], right?
Or do you mean that you would accept *mw and *nr as phonological
instantiations of *W and *R, while favoring laryngeals as conditioning
their origin?

(Don't feel you have to answer now-- I'm perfectly happy to wait till next
week.  Have a good time in Georgia!)

Rory