Funny W

Alan Knutson boris at terracom.net
Tue Nov 7 17:04:14 UTC 2006

Currently I am thinking along the lines of a phoneme with the following
distribution (using R as a cover term for these resonants) :

                R >    n/ #__ V[-nas]
                            r/  #__ V[+nas]
                            r elsewhere

This would be similar in some ways to the Korean distribution (n
initial, r elsewhere) and also to some groups in South and Central
America (if I remember correctly). There also has been an r/n
alternation  reconstructed for some archaic stem forms in I-E. So
perhaps one doesn't have to go to far afield. It also indicates that it
might be useful to look at the exceptions to this type of distribution
to see what information they might give.

Alan K