Positionals

Johannes Helmbrecht johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Nov 8 09:36:47 UTC 2006

Dear Caroline, dear Bruce,

excuse me for not responding earlier to your inquiry. Of course, I am
willing to provide the desired Hocank data with respect to positionals.
Unfortunately, I have no ready to distribute paper on this topic in
Hocank. So, perhaps, some general remarks on the positionals in Hocank
will help for the beginning; illustrating data have to be extracted
then from our text corpus later on.

1) The positionals are frequently employed as auxiliaries together with
a full verb [V + POS]. In this construction, they indicate either
progressive aspect, or the spatial position (sitting, standing, lying)
of the transitve/ intransive subject (S/A in typological terms), or
both.

2) They are personally inflected for S/A, but the conjugation pattern
varies between the first conjugation (quite regular), second
conjugation (regular, too) and some irregular mixture of of both. We
find cases in which only the full verb is inflected in this
construction, we find cases in which V and POS are both inflected, and
we find cases in which only POS is inflected. I have to admit that I
did not find a rationale for the distribution of the personal
inflection among V and POS yet.

3) The positionals can also be used as auxiliaries with a nominal
predicate indicating the spatial position of S, but this usage is
rather rare and dispreferred by speakers. Clauses with non-verbal
predicates are usually formed with other auxiliaries of 'being'

4) Besides the three basic positional auxiliaries, =naNk (sitting),
=jee/ =jaa (standing), and =ak/aNk (lying), there is a fourth one
=naNaNk (with a long nasalized vowel)for 3PL, but without any spatial
meaning (this semantic component seems to be neutralized in this form).

5) All four positionals are combined with deictic affixes to produce
demonstrative pronouns distinguishing proximate and distal, sitting/
lying/ standing, and sg and pl. These demonstratives can be used as
nominal attributes (determiners), or as independent referential
expressions, i.e. heads of a NP.

6) These demonstratives can also be used as relative pronouns
indicating both, the spatial position of the S/A of the relative
clause, and progressive aspect of the predicate of the relative clause.

I guess these are the essentials with regard to positionals in Hocank.
I'll tell you, if further important aspects of the positionals in
Hocank come to my mind.

Best,
Johannes