Funny W

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:21:09 UTC 2006

Alan wrote:
> Currently I am thinking along the lines of a phoneme with the following
distribution (using R as a cover term for these resonants) :

                R >    n/ #__ V[-nas]
                            r/  #__ V[+nas]
                            r elsewhere

This would be similar in some ways to the Korean distribution (n initial, r
elsewhere) and also to some groups in South and Central America (if I
remember correctly). There also has been an r/n alternation  reconstructed
for some archaic stem forms in I-E. So perhaps one doesn't have to go to
far afield. It also indicates that it might be useful to look at the
exceptions to this type of distribution to see what information they might
give.

So if I'm reading your notation correctly, we originally have one phoneme
*R.  R -> r everywhere except initially before a non-nasal vowel, in which
case it goes to n.  Is that a correct restatement?

If so, I have two general questions.

1. Do the distribution sets support the idea that *R and *r could be
allophones in Siouan?  I understand that *R is usually initial, and usually
precedes an oral vowel.  Does *r occur in this position as well?  If so,
could such words be explained as cases where the initial *r was once either
preceded by another syllable or followed by a nasal vowel?

2. In modern languages like Korean that show this allophonic distribution,
exactly what is the phonological nature of these sounds?  I would imagine
that either the "n" or the "r" would probably be a nasalized tapped r.

Rory