Funny W

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Nov 27 15:01:18 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> But the
> "voiced stop" in question may well have some prenasalization, and that's
> what I was referring to.  English orthography has no way to represent
> this, of course.   My main point was that my digraphs mb, nd, etc., are
> not intended to imply a fully syllabic nasal, just a prenasalized one.

That makes sense.  I think using mb, nd, etc. with the caveat that the
prenasalization is short and non-syllabic is quite clear.  Of course, we'd
still have the problem of these same sounds arising epenthetically in
interior positions wherever a stop is preceded by a nasal vowel.

If English orthography is a problem, we could represent these stops more
precisely as:

Nasal:      N
Oral:       PPPP*aaaaa
Laryngeal:  V   VVVVVV

for /mba/, and

Nasal:      N
Oral:       TTTT*aaaaa
Laryngeal:  V   VVVVVV

for /nda/.

(Nasal track: N - nasalization;
 Oral track: P - full labial closure; T - full alveolar closure; * -
release click; a - the vowel;
 Laryngeal track: V - voicing.)

These would be in contrast to my idea of nasally released stops:

Nasal:         *NN
Oral:       PPPPPaaaaa
Laryngeal:        VVVV

for /pm^a/, and