Monday's recordings

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Oct 3 22:16:09 UTC 2006

I don't think a [e] vs. [E] distinction would be helpful until you have a good grasp of what the long/short vowel distinction sounds like in monosyllables.  The comparison with Dakotan heya is also a possibility.  We should all be aware that, confronted with homonyms, people WILL be willing to make up non-existent distinctions to try to disambiguate them for us.  I had that experience in Kaw with ppa 'nose' and ppa 'bitter'.  When I played them back a week later without telling Mrs. Rowe which was which, she couldn't tell them apart.  All the analysis of Omaha phonetics going on is really interesting nonetheless.

Bob