LOOKING AT SOMETHING

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Oct 21 17:22:26 UTC 2006

> In IOM, there is:
wanda,     look at something &
wanwanda,     go look at (see) s.t.
(Words recorded by LWRobinson)

> I havent checked the stories for examples of use, but I am uncertain of proper conjugation.  It seems odd and non-compliant to anticipated compound words.  The nasal does not seem to belong here.  "anda"   =  hin- (me) + ada' (see).

MAndan has  í_taro?s 'he peeks', so it looks as though everything before the root, /-ta/ is a "locative" or some other prefix, and the pronominals come right before the /ta/ (= IOM -da).

CH[ waaNda, waada, adá 'see, watch' RR

WI[ hajá 'see, watch' KM-586

I heard all three forms above in recordings, but I don't have the conjugation.  Historically, the pronominals probably came right before the /da/ part, but I can't speak for modern times.  The root also is found down in the Southeast.

BIloxi:   watá 'watch, watch over' DS-286b

BIloxi:   "watá-ye" 'cause to watch' DS-286b

OFo:   akthá 'watch' DS-320a

> Mark has for Omaha =  donbe / danbe.
Lafleshe has for Osage (p.38):    see, perseive, watch, scrutinize:  a'tonbe, ashtonbe, on'gadonba
Also LF has:  Dondonba  (Seen from Time to Time)(name)

I think the above root is a completely different one that matches IOM /daNwe/ 'open eyes, wink' and Winnebago /jaaNp/.

I'm afraid this probably doesn't help much.