Place names of foreign origin in garbled form

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 16:44:03 UTC 2006

Interesting about the Omaha sounding place names in
English.  You find that also in the Gulf (Persian not
Mexican) countries.  A lot of names date from earlier
English days when they were learnt orally rather than
through writing.  In Qatar there is a place called in
Arabic saylayn which looks as though it means 'two
floods', but in fact comes from English Sea Lane.
Also I heard in Abadan of something called Simin Kulub
which originated in Seaman's Club.
Bruce