Omaha fricative set

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 15:47:55 UTC 2006

Rory -

Much of what you've said matches some of my impressions on hearing spoken Ponca.

I would offer that what you're describing as /s/-series pronounced
with the tip of the tongue against the lower teeth are probably simple
laminal /s/. Laminal (or "distributed" in some phonological theory)
are articulated with the part of the tongue behind the tip. Where the
tip goes is therefore not very important, and it doesn't make much of
a difference whether the tip remains raised or is totally lowered.
Dutch and Finnish both have widespread laminal /s/ and this is why the
/s/ in those languages sounds "dark" or like a cross between /s/ and
/s^/. I believe Nepali also pronounces /s/ with a lowered tongue tip
in certain contexts. Anyway, "laminal" is a very concise way to
describe the sound, and it's a word most people who know IPA are
familiar with.

As far as the /x, g^/ thing goes, your analysis fits what I've noticed
also. I do believe /x/ is, as you said, pronounced much farther
forward on the velum than we traditionally have said. The word for
something pronounced against "the back of the tongue and the velum or
tonsils" would probably be "uvular." A laryngeal would be something
like /h/ or a glottal stop; while a pharyngeal would be something
pronounced by the root of the tongue in the throat itself, and I don't
believe this is what's happening in OP. Uvular pronunciation, on the
other hand, is very common in many Plains languages, including as an
allophone for /k/ or even a separate phoneme.

- Bryan Gordon