Omaha fricative set

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 21:49:47 UTC 2006

/s^/ is usually called alveo-palatal or something similar like that.
Phonologists who work in featural theory can't agree on whether it's a
pure coronal or part-coronal and part-palatal. In any case, we
shouldn't assume anything about the features of OP /s^/ simply because
of what it's usually called for other languages. We know that it's
different from the standard European esh-sound, so we shouldn't assume
anything about it!

The Parisian /r/ is uvular, and yes, uvular usually connotes the
uvula, but it is possible to produce uvular sounds even if you don't
have a uvula (imagine a Parisian or a Hebrew speaker who has had it
removed for sleep apnea therapy). I would guess the tonsils or
something near the rear of the velum would be operative in this case.

As far as I know, there are no areal tendencies to have a laminal /s/
in Northern Europe. But one thing that Finnish and Dutch have in
common is the lack of a historical development of /s^/. Finnish has no
/s^/ at all in native lexemes, and Dutch's /s^/ phoneme arises from
contact between /s/ and /j/. This being the case, the "space" for the
/s/ phonemes in both languages is much larger than it is in languages
which have historically distinguished between /s/ and /s^/, so there's
no reason for speakers to avoid "darker" sounding pronunciations for
fear of confusion.

This is, of course, not true for OP, which does have a historical
distinction between /s/ and /s^/. One thing I recall reading in a
typology text (and the reason for the use of the language
"distributed" as opposed to "apical") is that languages which
distinguish /s/ from /s^/ always tend to distinguish an apical
pronunciation (in which the articulator-site contact area is small)
from a distributed pronunciation (in which the same area is large). If
this is not true for OP, then OP would be a typological rarity, on the
same level as certain Indo-Aryan languages with a three-way
distinction among alveolar fricatives!