Omaha fricative set

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Sep 28 15:19:56 UTC 2006

That would mean "cardinal" in Kaw!  All these terms come from earlier ones that referred to birds that are native to North America.  Try some related meaning for [sikka].  It's 'chicken' nowadays in all the other Dhegiha dialects (QU, KS, OS).  Let me check my notes from the '70's and Dick Carter's from about the same time.

It looks as though they've gotten two roots mixed here.  They're quite distinct in Dakota and most other languages.  One is *sit-ka and the other is *zi-ka (earlier *si-ka).  the /tk/ cluster gives Dhegiha /kk/ (Osage hk).

Bob