Omaha fricative set

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Sep 29 17:15:29 UTC 2006

I noticed that similarity between 'bird' and 'squirrel' as I was typing the post, but I don't know of any folk taxonomy in Siouan that commonly joins mammals with birds in this way.  Small birds are "tree fleas" in Dakotan and lizards are "bugs" in Kaw, but I have to admit that "small prey critter" doesn't do it for me at the moment.  Bob