Ponca-Pawnee Name Inquiry

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 23 13:01:39 UTC 2007

Good Morning All,
I received this inquiry from John Carter at the Nebraska State Historical
Society. Any speculations on this name?
Many thanks,
Uthixide

Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Ph.D.
http://omahalanguage.unl.edu

----- Forwarded by Mark J Awakuni-Swetland/UNLAS/UNL/UNEBR on 08/23/2007
07:57 AM -----

"John Carter" <jcarter at nebraskahistory.org>
08/22/2007 04:16 PM

"Mark Awakuni-Sweltand" <mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu>
cc

Subject
Another question

Mark
I am working on some stuff on Julius Meyer, the German Jew in Omaha who
claimed to speak six languages and opened the Indian goods store on Farnam
Street.
He claimed to have been given and Indian name, which he spelled Box ka re
sha hash ta ka, which he translated as “Curly haired white man with one
tongue.”  I have two accounts, one that he got it from the Pawnee and one
that he got if from the Ponca.  I asked James Riding In if that name made
sense to him:  he thought it more likely that it was “Curly haired white
dude who that a buffalo robe was worth a carton of Marlboros.”  It does
look like one of those Pawnee jawbreakers but I thought I would just shoot
it across your bow for an opinion.
Thoughts?
Thanks, John