Ponca-Pawnee Name Inquiry

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Thu Aug 23 13:24:56 UTC 2007

Mark,

I can vaguely imagine the "Box ka re sha" part being ppah(i) ska dheze, 'white hair, tongue...,' and can even imagine "hash ta ka" containing the word ha, 'skin,' possibly in reference to skin color.  I just can't place the remaining shtege/shteke/xtege/xteke part, and don't see anything like unto a Kaw word for 'curly.'  But that CteCe bit does look kinda Siouan, no?

-Justin