Ponca-Pawnee Name Inquiry

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Thu Aug 23 22:36:58 UTC 2007

Box ka re sha hash ta ka, which he translated as “Curly haired white man with one tongue.”

Well
It looks like Rory may be to deciphering it for Ponca.  Now for a Pawnee consideration, 1st thing,  ~ Tsahriks Taka would be "person white";  ásku ("one", a number); usú (hair); hat-u (tongue...I think); Sorry, I dont recall a word for "curly".
A white haired, or white headed person would be most likely rendered  as Paks taka.

A typical Pawnee gramatical sentence with the above English rendering would look somewhat like:
man white (or head white)  + he + (evidential makrker) + his + hair - currIy + has         he  + (e.m.) + tongue one + with + speak

And that is based on the said translation of the said name.  As it looks to my best guess, it says:

Box    ka   re sha  hash   ta ka, which he translated as “Curly haired white man with one tongue.”
Paks   ka    resar(u)  tsariks taka
head    on    leader    person white        =     Primary leader of the white people.

And the above rendering is factious, because such a thought would more likely be rendered as:

Tsariks taka  witirararaaskukitawiu

Tsariks taka  wi            + ti  ra      + rar            + asku    + kitawi      +    u
white people (evidential) + he who + (pluralizer) + the one + is leading + (completed action marker)

Well, it has been nice to remember some Pawnee again, and give a whirl at cracking yet another undeciphered mysterious name again.
Jimm