HAVE PITY

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Fri Aug 31 02:26:54 UTC 2007

Bob, John, Rory, Johannes and whoever:

Below you see the conjugation in Ioway, Otoe for "have pity".  Also, there are two of a number of examples of usage.
I have in question the third person plural, which may be in error.

The verb is composed from "náhje (heart)" and udán (be depressed toward).  Would the 3PP be:
nat^úndanwi   =   [nat^ + (hin-) + udán + wi]

(I..., nat^úhadan; you..., nat^úradan; we..., hínnat^údanwi; they..., nat^údanñe).    Nat^úhindañe ke,  I am pitied.   Nat^úrigradan ke,  I took pity on you, my own one.

I check for examples on Johannes HocakLex, but I found no examples.  So I checked out examples taken from Radin:

nadjirodja  =  take pity on; bless someone.
nadjironidja na  =  I take pity on you;
nadjiroradjagi  =  We take pity on you;
nadjirodjana  =  They take pity on him;
nadjirodjogi  =  They take pity on him;

nadjodjapi ja  =  be pitied;
nadjonidja  =  I pitied you;
nadjonidja wina  =  we pity you;

The above Hochank ~ Winnebago examples are not especially helpful in resolving my question above.  Perhaps, in Dhegiha, there may be a better comparison.
Jimm