HAVE PITY

Iren Hartmann wipamankere at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 12:15:39 UTC 2007

Jimm,

I'm currently working on the HocakLex. Some of these old Radin forms you found are not quite complete. There are two different forms of this verb in Hocank: naac hoja & naac hiroja, the former, however, seems to be the more frequently used one. It is inflected as follows:

     singular
     plural

      1st person Actor
     exclusive
     naac waaja

      /naac ho<ha>ja/
     naac waajawi

      /naac ho<ha>ja-wi/

      inclusive
     naac huuja

      /naac hi-hoja/ (dual)
     naac huujawi

      /naac hi-hoja-wi/

      2nd person Actor

     naac horaja

      /naac ho<ra>ja/
     naac horajawi

      /naac ho<ra>ja-wi/

      3rd person Actor

     naac hooja
     naac hoojaire

      naac hooja-ire

     singular
     plural

      1st person Undergoer
     exclusive
     naac huuja

      /naac ho<hi>ja/
     naac huujawi

      /naac ho<hi>ja-wi/

      inclusive
     naac waagoja

      /naac waaga-hoja/ (dual)
     naac waagojawi

      /naac waaga-hoja-wi/

      2nd person Undergoer

     naac honija

      /naac ho<ni>ja/
     naac honijawi

      /naac ho<ni>ja-wi/

      3rd person Undergoer

     naac hooja
     naac wooja

      /naac wa-hoja/

The following sentences were found in the example database and text corpus:

Naac wowaaja.

/naac wa-ho<ha>ja/

OBJ.3PL-<1E.A>take.pity.on

'I blessed them.'

Naac horakija?

/ naac_ho<ra-kii>ja/

<2.A-RFL>take.pity.on

'Did you feel sorry for yourself?'

Naac huugijaiine.

/naac_ho<hi-gi>ja-ire/

<1E.U-APPL.BEN>take.pity.on-SBJ.3PL

'They took pity on me/blessed me.'

Zige naac    huunagijawi

/zige       naac_ ho<hi-ra-gi>ja-wi  /

again      <1E.U-2.A-APPL.BEN>take.pity.on-PL

'You blessed us again.'

Naac wooragijagi niigíta.

/naac_wa-ho<ra-gi>ja-gi                                                 nii-gita/

OBJ.3PL-<2.A-APPL.BEN>take.pity.on-TOP             1&2-ask.from

'I ask you to bless them.'

If it were Hocank, I would interpret the form [nat^+(hin)+udán +wi] as either 1st plural inclusive actor = 'we (incl) take pity on him' or as a 1st person exclusive undergoer plural = 'S/he takes pity on us'.

However, it looks like Ioway-Otoe inflects this verb differently. The 1st person actor (inclusive?) inflection seems to be prefixed to natc (as in: [hínnat^údanwi]), whereas in Hocank it is prefixed to hoja.

Maybe the complete list of Hocank forms is of help to you anyway?

Best,

Iren