HAVE PITY

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Fri Aug 31 14:43:52 UTC 2007

Thank You, Iren, for your detailed reply, which I am printing out for future reference.

You have validated my thoughts that the citation for 3PP,   [hínnat^údanwi] is indeed incorrect.  And further, that my proposed proper conjugation for 3PP is indeed the appropriate one.

If it were Hocank, I would interpret the form [nat^+(hin)+udán +wi] as either 1st plural inclusive actor = 'we (incl) take pity on him' or as a 1st person exclusive undergoer plural = 'S/he takes pity on us'.

I have found instances of this pattern of infixed conjugation of compound word or word phrases have changed during the usage of late Elders, who spoke IOM as their first language.  Evidence suggest that the infixed conjugations were historical, and continue appropriate usage unto these contemporary times.  However, as I say, I've found some exceptions which I discussed with Bob and John in the past.  They suggested that when I come upon such exceptions, to make note of them along with the actual citation of the speaker.  I do not attempt any explanation of found exceptions, be it the influence of English, or natural linguistic evolution.

Thank you again for your thorough and detailed reply.  Indeed the complete Hochank listing of forms has been a help.

Jimm