HAVE PITY

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Aug 31 15:12:53 UTC 2007

Jimm,

I'm not sure about the 3rd pl., but I'm wondering if the stem, /?udoN/, might not be more closely related to the Omaha and Ponca udoN that has more of a meaning like 'good', and in Kaw, 'good' or 'honorable'.

In Kansa and Osage the verb often translated 'have pity' is used with the sense of 'bless' in prayers.  But the root is different, /k?e/ with a causative.

Bob