3 Osage Names

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Fri Dec 7 14:43:51 UTC 2007

I think Bob's on the money with Gretomih.  It looks like LetáN WiN, 'hawk
woman,' where there are variant forms letáN~letóN for 'hawk,' and (I think)
wiN~miN~mi for the female ending.  I looked in Burns's "Osage Indians Bands
and Clans" (© 1984, Ciga Press, Fallbrook, CA) for names similar to
Kishagashugah and Minckchatahooh, but came up with nothing.  But these sorts
of transcriptions are notoriously slippery (read: awful), so it's possible
you'd have to tweak them a whole lot to get them to the point where they
would resemble something.  For instance, I can imagine the -shugah part of
Kishagashugah being z^üce, 'red,' depending on whether or not these names
passed through English filters over time; for some reason English speakers
seem ever-ready to associate g with j^-like sounds and j with z^-like
sounds.  This would probably not be the case, however, if Boilly intended
his work for a French audience.

I keep coming back to the fact that these names look a little more like what
I've seen in Kaw names than Osage names.  For instance, the possible use of
miN for the female form in Gretomih lines up more with Kaw's tendency to
nasalize w before nasal vowels (compare Osage wíNxci to Kaw míNxc^i 'one').
Plus, I can more easily see the -shugah part  Kishagashugah as Kaw z^üj^e,
than Osage z^üce, 'red.'  Lastly, the first part of Minckchatahooh looks a
whole lot like Kaw míNxc^i 'one' or míNj^e 'bow.'  I can even imagine a
situation where Boilly's handwriting of minckc may have actually been
mincho, which looks a lot like Kaw miNcho 'grizzly bear.'

By the way, what are the genders of the individuals associated with these
names?

Good luck,
-Justin