3 Osage Names

Justin McBride jmcbride at kawnation.com
Fri Dec 7 15:04:01 UTC 2007

Wel... I did a search online for Gretomih, and came up with the following
from the http://www.ackland.org/art/exhibitions/seasonsofparis/osage.html
website:

    THE OSAGES IN PARIS
    In July 1827, a party of six Osage Indians, four men and two
    women, arrived in France from Missouri and traveled to Paris,
    where they created a sensation as representatives of an exotic
    culture.  An article in the Journal des Debats described them as
    chief, Kihegashugah (or Little Chief), aged 38, his wife
    Myhangah and cousin Gretomih, both women aged 18, as
    second chief Washingsaba (Black Spirit), aged 32, and his two
    followers Marcharthitatoongah (Big Warrior) aged 45 and
    Minkchatahooh (Little Warrior) aged 22.  They were
    accompanied by a half-Indian, half-French man who served as
    interpreter.

So, just forget all that stuff I was saying about Kaw names!  It looks like
we've found them:

Gretomih           =  (same)              'Hawk Woman'    LetáN WiN
Kishagashugah   =  Kihegashugah   'Little Chief'         Kahíke Z^íNka
Minckchatahooh = Minkchatahooh 'Little Warrior'     ?????

I just have no idea how the 'Little Warrior' name actually breaks down.