Lakota ki- 'to become by itself'

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 18:30:59 UTC 2007

Here's my two cents on ki- 'to become by itself', examples first, in random order:

  ki-ska 'to turn white'
  ki-sake   'to get hard, stiff'
  ki-suta  'to get hard'
  ki-wichas^a  'to have become a man, to have completed growing up'
  ki-wiNyaN  'to have become a woman'
  ki-thamahecha  'to get skinny'
  ki-haNska  'to get tall'
  ki-ksapa  'he got smart'
  ki-luzahaN 'to get fast'
  ki-bleza  'to become conscious'
  ki-phaNs^phaNz^ela   'to get soft'
  ki-ni 'to come back to life'
  ki-'okhate  'to become warm inside, like when turning up the heat'

  ki-was^tecaka ye!  'behave yourself!'
  pheta ki ki-sni 'the fire went dead/out (by itself)'
  thaspaNzi ki ki-phaNs^phaNz^ela 'the orange has ripened'
  wakhalapi ki ki-sni  'the coffee is cold/has gotten cold'

  There is a second usage of ki- with meteorological expressions, which, however, is rendered by the slightly different translation 'to become/happen suddenly, unexpectedly'. Is this still "the same" ki-? I'd say at least this usage is close enough to the above ki- to postulate a historical connection.

  ki-mag^az^u 'all of a sudden it rains, unexpectedly' (classed as an "old word" by informant)
  ki-mas^te 'the sun came out all of a sudden'
  ki-wahiNhe  'all of a sudden it is snowing'

  The lexical productivity of ki- appears to be restricted. Statives are most easily compatible with ki-, but by far not all of them are. For instance, the following combinations are ungrammatical, among many others:
  *ki-khate 'to get hot'
  *ki-'owothaNla  'to get straight'

  It could be that ki- is actually completive, so that 'to have become by itself' is a better translation. Since I inadvertently kicked this file out of the "active" materials that needed double-checking with native speakers years ago, I couldn't pursue this issue further. I hope that didn't happen with too many of my grammar files!
  As for Jimm's suggestion of categorizing ki- as an instrumental prefix, that's exactly what I had in mind while working on this element. At least, this type of ki- seems to go nicely with semantically similar prefixes such as na- 'to become by itself' and ka- 'to do/become by itself' (yes, there IS an intransitive ka-). Alternatively, ki- could be treated as an aspect marker. I've also considered connections with benefactive/possessive ki-, but that didn't turn out to be particularly illuminating.

  Regina

""Alfred W. Tüting"" <ti at fa-kuan.muc.de> wrote:  Thanks a lot, Bruce,  only now I know that I should've remembered _kizuzeca_, at least. Now, I found still another one: kimakxa (B.-M. "turn into soil, as anything rotten in the ground").

  Alfred

  P.S. I wonder if kimimila (butterfly) has smth to do with this issue (mila??)