Lakota ki- 'to become by itself'

Jan Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Tue Dec 11 08:39:02 UTC 2007

>  Regina's mention of kini as in the radio station reminded me of kili,
the other radio station, which is translated often as "awesome",
>  if that is how it is spelt.  I have often wondered what the origin of
this word is.  It doesn't seem to have a recognizable root or any
cognates.
> It seems an odd word for such a necessary concept. Any clues?

It is a common colloquialism and pronounced with aspirated kh: khili'.
It is most likely related to okhilita 'it is exciting, thrilling,
intense, dramatic, a to-do, crowds, there is much action'.
The -lita part might be related to archaic words walitakA 'to be
courageous and full of valor, industrious and active' and to litas^kaN
'to be very busy'.
I am uncertain as to the origin of khi, but I don't think it is
impossible that it originates in the stem khi- 'in contact'

Jan