Lakota ki- 'to become by itself'

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Tue Dec 11 11:01:29 UTC 2007

This is very interesting and convincing, indeed, thanks. As an old-
fashioned linguistic purist myself, I'm afraid to state that this
appears to be the way languages generally develop through (modern) use.

May I grasp the opportunity here, Jan, asking your authentic view on
the use of "ki-is^tamnihaNpi (hiNgle)" in your fine translation of
Emma LaRocque's poem "Where did she go?"?

"(...) Ite na ho kin hena / tokahe anpao kinhan / wakalyapi mitawa
kin / ki-istamnihanpi hingle (...)"
"(...) Her voices, her faces / that turn my coffee / into a cup of
tears / with the first wisp of day? (...)"

Ite na ho kin hena
Ṫokahe ánpaó kinhan
waḱalyapi miṫawa kin
ki-iṡtamnihanpi hingle.

I'm already pondering over this special use of ki- since quite some
time, you know: it caught my eye that, as it seems to me, you thought
it to be necessary(?)/advisible(?) to use a hyphen and (even) the
auxiliary verb hinglA together with the main verb. I'd be most
grateful for any feedback.

Best regards

Alfred