Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Dec 11 18:42:37 UTC 2007

Looking at the verb prefix templates and examples of the prefix orders in several languages and comparing Jan's Lakota examples, it appears that the ki- we are discussing is more closely related to the vertitive than to either reflexive or instrumentals.  The most general use of ki- I have found (outside of Jan's and Regina's new [to me] Dakotan cases) is in Mandan, where Mixco and others have a generalized ki- that occurs immediately preceding the verb with the meaning 'become'.  Some posit a homophonous Mandan prefix ki- meaning 'again', but I tend to think of these as a single affix, especially in light of Jan's observations.

All other Siouan languages without exception have ki- 'vertitive' with verbs of motion, but only a few seem to have generalized a relatively productive use with non-motion verbs.  There are one or two differences in the behavior of these prefixes however.  The ki- of kini does not seem to undergo syncopy like the vertitive with motion verbs.  Otherwise I would expect something closer to g-ni 'recover', which does not occur in any Siouan language.  Similarly, we might expect to find g-luzahaN 'to get fast' or k-haNska  'to get tall', neither of which occurs.  So the syncope rule is only productive with motion verbs, while its (apparent) extension to other verbs and nouns seems to involve only invariant ki-.

Bob