FEELINGS (Abstract Notions) & ki- "to turn (again) into"

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Wed Dec 12 20:06:45 UTC 2007

(Replying to Clive's informative quotes I wrote)

 > As had been already pointed out earlier here, the Siouan "concept"
of "feeling"
 > (of physical or emotional processes/states) obviously has to do
with "mind",
 > "will", "knowledge", rather than "emotion", "sensation", "sense
perception".
 > Hence, _txawat'elya_ is given as "to be willing (sic!) for
anything; desirous
 > to do or suffer" (also cf. _txawat'elkiya_ - to be willing...) B.-M.
 >
 > Your other examples seem to fit in this concept, where the verbs
_slolkiyA_ -
 > "to know (sic!) one's own" and _kiksuyA_ - "to remember", "to be
conscious"(!)
 > are used.

Not unlike Clive, I also highly appreciate the great ability and
penmanship of Emil Afraid of Hawk since quite some time (although  I
could claim by no means to being able to really judge this
personality's great work!).
Searching through his translation of "Brave Against the Enemy" for
further examples of the Dakotan concept of "feeling" I came across the
following reference (quoted in the PDF-file attached below) where,
again, the expression "kiksuyA" can be found, albeit with a slightly
different "hue".

As it seems to me, our initial topic, by chance split up in two
threads, might be rooted in the same "soil".
I'd appreciate to learn your experts' view?

Alfred