Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

Jan Ullrich jfu at centrum.cz
Thu Dec 13 14:18:58 UTC 2007

> I'm going to side with Bob on this one.  It seems to me that the basic

> meaning of the vertatives is not 'toward home' but 'back (again)'.
Over
> and over in the texts we read "i na gli na...." -- 'went there and
came
> back and...' without the concept of 'home' anywhere around.

I fully agree that the vertitives mean "back" rather than "home". I
didn't think that was in contradiction to the possessive analysis that I
sided with, but perhaps it is.
Or are you suggesting that the ki- that potentially formed the
vertitives is the same ki- 'return back to the original state"?
I might be missing some e-mails from this thread as it seems my spam
filter has been acting up lately.

> Allan had an explanation for khi but I've forgotten it -- and I can't
put
> my hands on the paper right now, either.  Bob?

Would be good to know.

Jan