Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 17:45:41 UTC 2007

(Jan)
  >Is it possible that the possessive ki- and the 'return' ki- have a
>common source?

  That's precisely what I was wondering when I was reading Jan's last contribution to the list. My feeling about vertitive ki- 'go back' and possessive ki- with a possible interpretation 'go home' is that they are not that far apart semantically. My recent work on Lakota motion verbs suggests that the ones that historically contain ki- do not have to interpreted that narrowly as referring only to 'home' as destination. It is sufficient if the agent has some kind of more or less abstract connection with the destination, which could be rendered by 'place where he/she belongs'. The destination with such verbs could, for instance, be the birthplace of the agent, even if the agent doesn't live there at the moment of utterance. I still think that this implies a possessive connection of some sort.

  Regina

Jan Ullrich <jfu at centrum.cz> wrote:
  David,

Thanks for clarifying that. I don't have enough background in historical
and comparative linguistics to decide between the two ki-, but I do
agree that vertitives mean "come/go back" rather than "come/go home".
Is it possible that the possessive ki- and the 'return' ki- have a
common source?

Jan