Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

Blair Rudes BARudes at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 03:52:10 UTC 2007

In a message dated 12/13/2007 11:25:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rankin at ku.edu writes:

All,

Pardon my temporary absence.  We have had no electric  power at my home since
3:15 p.m. Wednesday.  The REA Cooperative that  provides electricity to our
part of the county says they will try to have  everythig up and running again
by Saturday evening, but another storm is  scheduled for Friday night.

I had not thought of the vertitive  as derived from possessive or dative, but
I must admit that it took me an  inordinately long time to sort out all the
various k(h)i's.  There tends  to be at least a little semantic overlap among
nearly all of them, aspirated  or not.  I had to make a comparative chart of
all the usual ones before  things became even reasonably clear.  And even then,
I tended to get  things in the wrong columns.  I've redone it a couple of
times.   I've toyed with the idea that all the KI's are somehow derived from the
same  source somehow, but it doesn't work in a way that most comparativists
would  find convincing.  And, as far as I know, Catawban doesn't help.

If  *k- is the normal vertitive and hi in Daktoan is the normal 'arrive
here',  then why wouldn't the vertitive of hi be khi?

I seem to recall that  John Koontz had explained the development of all these
forms in one of his  papers.  I'll have to look for Allan's.

More later as things get  back to normal here.

Bob (cold and in the dark in  Kansas)