Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 15 17:07:47 UTC 2007

I wonder whether vertative and possessive could not be the same in origin in that it expresses some prior relationship between the subject/actor of the verb and the object of the verb with possessive  and the destination in the case of a vertative.  The gl- form of the prefix occurs in both as in gluha, gluza 'have ones own, hold one's own' and gli 'arrive back' and gla 'go back'.
Bruce

ROOD DAVID S <David.Rood at Colorado.EDU> wrote:
Jan, that's how I interpreted Bob's suggestion that the -ki- 'revert;
become' is historically related to the -ki- of the vertatives, and
distinct from any of the others.  I think we're saying that the morpheme
in the vertatives is NOT the possessive.  But Bob will have to supply the
cross-linguistic data for that.

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado