Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Mon Dec 17 00:31:25 UTC 2007

ALAN R. TAYLOR's IJAL paper, appeared in Vol. 42. (4) : 287-296, in
October 1976.

I will try to summarize some relevant parts of it, since I have a
couple of questions of my own to put to List members about the odd
detail.
Naturally one realizes that most (if not all) of the information
given will be "old news" to scholars here!

Major attention is given to Dakota, Dhegiha, Winnebago, Chiwere,
Mandan, Hidatsa, Crow, Biloxi, and Ofo. (Data from Tutelo & Catawba
are lacking.)
After stating that : "most of the Siouan languages have four basic
motion stems", Taylor represents these stems schematically :

ARRIVING MOTION                   :    Stem 1 (HERE);     Stem 3
(THERE);

MOTION PRIOR TO ARRIVAL :    Stem 2 (HERE);     Stem 4 (THERE).

He then goes on to say : "In all of the languages, stems 1 & 3 refer
only to the end-point of the motion, i.e. arrival.
Depending on the language, stems 2 & 4 refer either to inception of
motion, to motion underway, or to both." (p.287).
"All of the languages add several different prefixes to these basic
stems to form various additional transitive & intransitive stems.
One such prefix, found in most (or all) of the languages, has the
underlying shape k.
Stems derived by this prefix relate the motion to one's home, or TO
AN EARLIER LOCATION ."(p.288)

Taylor calls stems of this latter variety 'Vertative', and remarks in
passing that although the term was first coined by Kaufman, its first
appearance in print was by Robert C. Hollow, Jr., in his unpublished
Mandan Dictionary (Ph.D. diss., Uni Calif., 1965).

In his discussion of the Dakota dialects, Taylor firstly nominates
the four basic stems (corresponding vertatives bracketed) :

ARRIVING MOTION :            hi [gli] - (HERE);        i    [khi] -
(THERE);

MOTION UNDERWAY :        u  [ku] - (HERE);       yA [glA] - (THERE);

Next, Taylor lists the following compound verb-stems (vertatives
bracketed) :

DEPARTING MOTION :     hiyu [glicu] (HERE);    iyayA [khiglA]   (THERE);

PASSING BY MOTION :     (??)             (HERE):    hiyayA [gliglA]
(THERE).

Question 1 : What happened to the missing pair of stems meaning ;
"pass by on the way coming here [home]"?

                       Or have I got myself into another fine
(logical) mess?

Now, perhaps of greater relevance to David's email below, on pp.
289-290, Taylor goes on to make the following fascinating (to me)
observations regarding
"PHONOLOGICAL CHANGES IN THE SHAPES OF THE BASIC STEMS", entailed by
the addition of the vertative k prefix :

"(The resultant changes) give some clues as to the underlying form of
the simple stems.(......)
Note that only ' u ' seems to have the same underlying and surface
forms.
' i ' becomes ' hi ' when the vertative prefix is added, while ' hi '
and ' ya ' have ' l ' as their initial consonant when the vertative
prefix is present.
Underlying stem forms derivable from the comparison of the vertative
and non-vertative sets are ' Li ' (to arrive here), ' u' (to be
coming), ' hi ' (to arrive there), and ' LA ' (to be going).
(The symbol ' L ' represents an unspecified liquid.)
Consideration of additional related and other morphological forms
shows, however, that some of these suggested underlying forms need
further refinement.
Morphophonemic alternations involving the Lakhota liquid, ' l ' , are
of two kinds.
On the one hand, there is a frequent and regular alternation of / l /
and / y / , an example of which is the ' yA : glA ' pair we have just
seen.
On the other hand, there is the exceedingly rare interchange of / l /
and / h / which is seen in the pair ' hi : gli '.
' L ' in the two stems ' Li ' and ' LA ' could possibly represent the
same underlying liquid, since the following vowels are different, but
' L ' might also represent different liquids in those two stems.  For
the moment, we will consider that the two ' L's ' are identical,
although one may have to be changed on the basis of comparative
evidence.
The suggested underlying form ' u ' also proves inadequate when the
inflection of the verb is consulted. Although the stem ' u ' has a
perfectly regular inflection today, a now obsolete, apparently
regular paradigm for this verb shows ' phu ' in the first person
singular.  The earlier underlying form of this stem has to be ' hu '
in order to yield this paradigmatic form."

Question 2 : Does this obsolete ' phu ' form explain such variants as
' (wa)hibu' (in add. to the more common 'wahiyu') from 'hiyu'?

Regards,

Clive.

P.S. What an immense loss to North-American linguistic scholarship
the tragic & premature loss of this dazzling scholar, Alan Taylor, was!
May I pay my own small meed of posthumous tribute to him here :
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
Requiescas in pace.