Siouan ki- 'become (again)', 'return to'

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Mon Dec 17 05:30:16 UTC 2007

Oh dear, oh dear! Thank you David - it seems I've been grotesquely
misinformed!
I hope Allan's sense of humour is a keen one.
Now, it appears, I given him a reason to say, in the illustrious
company of Mark Twain  : "rumours of my demise have been much
exaggerated"!
Not all of us get that chance, eh?
But seriously, I beg his pardon, and that of everybody here!
I am absolutely mortified with embarassment!

Clive. (goodbye cruel world!)

On 17/12/2007, at 4:04 PM, ROOD DAVID S wrote:

> [...]
>> of the simple stems.(......)
>> Note that only ' u ' seems to have the same underlying and surface
>> forms.
>> ' i ' becomes ' hi ' when the vertative prefix is added, while '
>> hi ' and ' ya ' have ' l ' as their initial consonant when the
>> vertative prefix is present.
>> Underlying stem forms derivable from the comparison of the
>> vertative and non-vertative sets are ' Li ' (to arrive here), '
>> u' (to be coming), ' hi ' (to arrive there), and ' LA ' (to be
>> going).
>> (The symbol ' L ' represents an unspecified liquid.)
>> Consideration of additional related and other morphological forms
>> shows, however, that some of these suggested underlying forms need
>> further refinement.
>> Morphophonemic alternations involving the Lakhota liquid, ' l ' ,
>> are of two kinds.
>> On the one hand, there is a frequent and regular alternation of /
>> l / and / y / , an example of which is the ' yA : glA ' pair we
>> have just seen.
>> On the other hand, there is the exceedingly rare interchange of /
>> l / and / h / which is seen in the pair ' hi : gli '.
>> ' L ' in the two stems ' Li ' and ' LA ' could possibly represent
>> the same underlying liquid, since the following vowels are
>> different, but ' L ' might also represent different liquids in
>> those two stems.  For the moment, we will consider that the two '
>> L's ' are identical, although one may have to be changed on the
>> basis of comparative evidence.
>> The suggested underlying form ' u ' also proves inadequate when
>> the inflection of the verb is consulted. Although the stem ' u '
>> has a perfectly regular inflection today, a now obsolete,
>> apparently regular paradigm for this verb shows ' phu ' in the
>> first person singular.  The earlier underlying form of this stem
>> has to be ' hu ' in order to yield this paradigmatic form."
>>
>> Question 2 : Does this obsolete ' phu ' form explain such variants
>> as ' (wa)hibu' (in add. to the more common 'wahiyu') from 'hiyu'?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Clive.
>>
>> P.S. What an immense loss to North-American linguistic scholarship
>> the tragic & premature loss of this dazzling scholar, Alan Taylor,
>> was!
>> May I pay my own small meed of posthumous tribute to him here :
>> Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.
>> Requiescas in pace.
>>

>> On 14/12/2007, at 1:02 AM, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to side with Bob on this one.  It seems to me that the
>>> basic meaning of the vertatives is not 'toward home' but 'back
>>> (again)'.  Over and over in the texts we read "i na gli na...."
>>> -- 'went there and came back and...' without the concept of
>>> 'home' anywhere around.
>>> Allan had an explanation for khi but I've forgotten it -- and I
>>> can't put my hands on the paper right now, either.  Bob?
>>> Univ. of Colorado