another Siouan question + 'AHI'

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Mon Dec 17 22:11:19 UTC 2007

On 08/12/2007, at 9:40 PM, Clive Bloomfield wrote:

> From (Emil AFRAID-OF-HAWK's) Lakhota version of Ann Nolan Clark's
> "BRINGER OF THE MYSTERY DOG" (1941)
>
> On Page 62 (ibid.) :

To provide some context : Little Dog, the boy protagonist, has left
home on a lone quest to earn his manhood-name, and has just come
across some interesting tracks : those of a man, accompanied by some
mysterious large four-footed animal. He now recalls having heard
stories told to his elders by visitors from friendly bands, of
strange beasts, dog-like, but much larger, (s^uNka wakhaNpi) which
could be made to carry burdens on their backs. His previous
excitement at witnessing a buffalo hunt, now pales into insignificance.

> 1) : "(S^uNka Cik'ala lila waNkayeic'iye.) Ithokap taku ok'oka
> woawachiN ichaNteiyapha k'uN he woawachiN lechala kin AHI
> ichiyutakunis^ni na lila sutaya yuze."
>
> 2) : [=(Little Dog jumped high into the air.) His present state of
> emotions, WHEN JUXTAPOSED WITH (lit : 'brought to')(??) the
> excitement which had struck his heart previously,
>           diminished (that) by comparison (ichi- 'together") to
> nothingness/annihilated the latter by comparison (??), and held him
> firmly in its grip.]
>
>> NOLAN CLARK's original English reads :

>> 3) : "Little Dog jumped up. The excitement that he had felt before
>> was nothing to that which clutched him now."

I am by no means sure that, In my translation in 2), (which is an
attempt to determine the exact significance of the Lakhota words), I
am by no means sure that I have rendered that
('di-transitive'/'second reciprocal'?) "ichi-" verb-form correctly,
and would appreciate any observations people might care to make on
that, or on this sentence as a whole.

I am also quite puzzled by the precise significance of 'ahi'  in the
sentence above, a word which seems to be so frequently used by this
author in comparisons (or at least in juxtapositions of some kind),
as to be almost a mannerism!
(I am aware of the use of 'a-' compounded with verbs of motion to
mean : "bring/convey', and also of 'ahi-' added to certain verbs to
express direction, as detailed by B&D at p.96, Sect.115).

Is 'ahi' being used in some sort of Serial-Verb construction here, I
wonder?

Is 'woawachiN lechala kiN' actually the subject of
'ichitakunishni' (as it is of 'yuze'), and
'ithokap........ichaNteiyapha k'uN' its object, as I thought?

I will track down & post some other examples of sentences using 'ahi'
by this author, when time permits.

A note at the back of these old B.I.A. readers, by Willard W. Beatty,
Director of Education, in July 1943, states :

"The preparation of material in the native languages is under the
immediate direction of Dr. EDWARD A. KENNARD, (.......) EMIL AFRAID-
OF-HAWK, an experienced interpreter of the older generation,
translated this series of books."

An Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk is mentioned twice (pp. 84 & 89) in the
biography "Fool's Crow" by Thomas E. Mails (Uni of Nebraska Press,
1979), as the father of Frank Fool's Crow's sweetheart & bride,
Fannie Afraid-Of-Hawk, (Emil's youngest daughter), in the year 1916.

Best regards,

Clive.