another Siouan question

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 12:55:48 UTC 2007

Jan,
Can you get examples of animates where the -ichi- expresses reciprocity between two animates without having a separate outside  agent as with the 'he' in your examples ie a sentence like wankichiyankapi 'they saw each other' with an -ichi-
Bruce

Jan Ullrich <jfu at centrum.cz> wrote:   Zpráva

    (quoting Bruce Ingham)

   >    My impression with the -ichi- versus -kichi- is that when    reciprocal the ichi- occurs with inanimates and that the kichi- usually with    animates.
   > Is that the case with your examples    Jan?

   No, I have    recorded sentences where animates occur with ichi, as    in

   NuphiN    ichiyauNphapi cha ksuyeuNyaNpe lo. 'He hit us against each other and hurt    us.'
   IchiwaNwichayaNke. 'He compared them."

   Jan