another Siouan question

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Dec 18 04:29:30 UTC 2007

Bryan,

Are you certain there is a /khi-/ prefix with a reflexive or reciprocal, etc. meaning in Omaha?  I suspect Dorsey's transcription here.  Kansa and Quapaw have kki- 'reflexive' and kkikki- 'recip.', both with /kk/, never /kh/.  The only place I get /kh/ is with the syncopated form of the dative causative, k+hiye > /khiye/, but the k-h here is bimorphemic, not a unitary prefix.  I defer to the folks who speak or are studying Omaha and Ponca on this, but I seriously suspect JOD's ear here.

Bob