References to frozen hide

Billy Maxwell bmaxwell at mt.net
Thu Feb 8 18:57:54 UTC 2007

> Bob thanks, the method is still done. The old ways of addressing it
> may be gone forever for most groups. Still it pays to know what to
> look for when it does surface.
I did get a good bit of feedback from Louis Garcia of North Dakota ,
Siouan List Member Jurgita Saltanaviciute of Ok., Benson Lanford of Or.,
and Louis Jones of Tenn..

I have yet to dig into my Mandan files or speakers, Hidatsa files and
speakers, and Crow buddies. I thought the Dakota would be easy enough
to find.
I asked the Siouan group after digging in Rigg's Dakota Dictionary for
two-days!

My effort here is to try to remix effort with the ways the process is
referred. My way of mixing words and material or process. I am cross
referencing several languages to avoid going down a path that
never existed. We all know how misleading words can be! Here are a few
of the replies so far:

Billy, I don't know if this would help, but my Lakota advisors on
Rosebud gave the word Hayuhtatapi sniyapi (spelling: the second "h"
with a dot above it, in sniyapi - the first "i" - nasal).
They say it was done in the north country. Jurga
Jurgita Saltanaviciute, M.A., Department of Anthropology, University of
Oklahoma, 455 W. Lindsey St., Rm 521, Norman, OK 73019,
http://www.sitekreator.com/jurga

Tahacaģa. Ta = ruminant (tatanka, Tatokana, taĥca, etc); Ha = skin,
hide, bark; Caģa = freeze, frozen).
Another term used Tahasaka, but saka just means hard, stiff, etc. = a
hard dried hide.
Hope this helps. Have a great day, LouieGarcia_,_._,___

Pursuant to Billy's initial comment (and Andrzej Gussman's response)
below, let me share something that Milford Chandler told me years ago,
ref. Indian hide tanning.  Essentially I remember his comments that
Indians tanned in various ways to obtain different results that were
appropriate to projects in mind.  They did indeed sometimes freeze
hides as part of the tanning process.  He did say that freezing the
hides expanded the fibers and that the resulting skins were very
flexible and soft.  The trick was to hang the thoroughly wet hides in
the outdoors in freezing weather, and let them blow-dry in the wind.
If the hides thawed while still wet, you were back to square one. Mr.
Chandler said that hides prepared in this way were not particularly
suitable for moccasins-- that they wore out too quickly. For what it's
worth-- and with regards,   Benson Lanford

Benson, Everything you said makes sense. The hides I have done this way
are ideal for clothing, but not the best for mocs.
There is a separate term for moccasin grade skin in Dakota,
"wa-ki'-hda-ka" n. dressed skin, leather, such as is used to make and
mend
moccasins with (Riggs).
 From what I gather from Wilson, just sanding soft pronhorn neck skin is
very good to mocs on the trail. Nothing elaborate.
I was talking to Rick Todd of Fort Benton years ago about the different
ways of working hides to get the results you need for what you are
making.
I think everyone will agree that "wa-ke'-ya" n. a skin tent, a Dakota
lodge. See wokeya. is the best for sewing beads and quills on and for
making mocs and making
grubby clothing. It is not ideal for fine clothing. I don't think it is
an ideal for clothing at all, but when you scrap a lodge you may as
well make use of it [wo'keya. n. a shelter, a cover, a booth. ke'ya, n.
the large tortoise; a roof, adj. sloping, like a roof: keya haη, it
stands roof like]. That should give you some alternatives to tipi
Linda!

Perhaps wet scrape and dry also play, or not, a role in this. Tent
skins are usually dry scraped while clothing deer, antelope, and big
horn are almost always worked wet.
I know that is too simple to hold true for every hide worker out there.
But, it is a thought. Feel free to attack now.

Benson Salish and Pikuni women often do (scrape and brain) a bunch of
hides and just put them on the bushes or clothes line to dry.
They will work them soft from the dry later when they have the time.
There is reference in the back of Blue Mountain Buckskin to this from a
Yakama woman who tells the author that
she never worked a hide the way the author did. I will have to go back
to look, but I think she was implying dry scraping on the frame. I have
seen images of Plateau women also dressing (softening) a hide with a
staking tool while the hide is in the frame. These hides I assume are
the very best for clothing since they are even and fully worked.
I put my best "frozen" brained hide in the frame in sub-zero weather
while wet and softened it dry in that same frame many months later.

Not all Indian ladies do their hide work the same, or maybe they do. It
is just someone sees them working hides only for clothing. Billy

Billy and Benson, I found your comments about freeze-tanning and
tanning to purpose to be spot -on.
  I have been using the freezing process for years as an integral tool
in doing soft and stretchy hides with lots of thickness and "loft"
when doing wet-scrape hides that I needed to be that way; soaking a
hide full of water then freezing it seems to aid in the breaking
process at any point the hide needs breaking.
  Working a framed hide seems to result in a hide that is flatter with
firmer and more tightly packed fibers that are better for moccasin
uppers that need to be beaded.
I also have discovered that taking thick rawhide intended for moc soles
and saturating them with water and freezing them, and keeping them
frozen
  while the ice evaporates out of them makes a particularly nice
,light,white, and flexible rawhide sole which is very easy to sew the
upper to.
Also, I suspect that the size and weight of the hide was the major
determinant in making the dry-scrape, wet-scrape decision. Two cents,
Louis Jones