Fwd: Any reference terms for frozen hide?

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 23:33:09 UTC 2007

Howdy Jimm!

It's not a given that the motion verb template functions the same across all
the languages, BUT I think it's a really nice working hypothesis that it
does work the same or almost the same, and we can all test it in our
respective languages to see how much the same it does work.

If you refer to the chart we got from Linda, there were some languages that
had more complete repertoires of motion verbs than others. For instance, I
remember that most of the languages collapsed the verbs of departure and
motion-in-progress together, and distinguished them from verbs of arrival.
But there were some that had three separate categories for these. Also, I
remember that the verbs of departure, for some reason, seemed to be composed
of the other two categories in most cases.

Omaha-Ponca seems in a more archaic form to have distinguished all three,
but in its modern form only to distinguish the two. You see those "combined"
forms like hidhe in older texts.

Another note: OP arrival verbs seem to be aspectually accomplishment verbs
(that is, they entail a bounded activity, a process with a definite
termination point). This is very different from English arrival verbs, which
are aspectually achievement verbs (that is, they entail just the termination
point, not the process that precedes it). Is it the same for other Siouan
languages?

By way of explanation, in English, we would say, "After work I went home and
ate," while in OP we would say "After work I arrived back there at home and
ate." You only use the OP motion verb "go back there" when the motion is in
progress or has just begun, and you only use the English arrival verb when
you're not interested in the motion part.

- Bryan