Any reference terms for frozen hide?

goodtracks at peoplepc.com goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Sun Feb 11 03:19:24 UTC 2007

Bill:
I thought the replies from different ones were interesting and appreciated
the sharing of the information, although they did not turn up a frozen hide
term.  I looked in my own JODorsey files for possible IOM terms.  There are
a number of terms that concern tanning, treating a hide, but nothing that
suggests a special frozen processing.  However, as you know, by using an
instrumental prefix, one process may be changed to another.  For IOM the
prefix da-  concerns an action done by heat or freezing.
A Hidatsa elder shared with me 40 years ago, that when he was a child, that
in the winter, buffalo would sometimes misjudge the frozen ice on the river
to cross.  At times, they fell through the ice and drowned.  In the spring
of the year when the ice began to melt, the people would pull out the
buffalo carcass even when in stages of putrid decay, if I recall correctly.
I was told that the steaks cut from such frozen animals were exceedingly
tender and delicious.  I am thinking that the story bears credence towards
your information on tanning frozen hides, that were exceptionally soft and
of superiour quality.
Jimm