The Casa tribe, homeland, and language

Shane Henry shenry74 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 22:35:08 UTC 2007

Thanks Rory and Bob for the help with the Casas and Cappas. Reading the Quapaw chapter in the HNAI makes the Quapaw identity of Cappa village clear.

The Geographic Names Information System (citing James Montgomery's 'The Nomenclature of the Upper Tennessee River') states that the "Acanseasipi River" river refers to the Tennessee River: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=121:3:530840878239254790::NO::P3_FID:517033

Is this the most likely identification of the "River of the Kansa"?

Travis

P.S. A couple errors in my original post:

>>If the Mosopelea occupied the watersheds on the north bank of the Ohio River in southeastern Ohio<<

That should be southwestern instead of "southeastern".

>>Is the Cappa River the modern-day Whitefish and Cache Rivers?<<

That should be White instead of "Whitefish". What can I say?...I've been thinking about the Atikamekws a lot recently. :-)

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.