The Casa tribe, homeland, and language

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Feb 19 17:10:16 UTC 2007

That's a bit hard to say.  Some have tried to derive Ofo words like angofa or anglif from French, and, while /ang/ is the first part of various Fr. words referring to the English, it is also the pan-Siouan root for 'man, person'.  The sibilant at the end of French 'anglais' was and is not normally pronounced except in the feminine.  All in all, I've never been very sure we have a good handle on the chronology of this change.  Nor is the phonetic trajectory very clear, although I've speculated that it may have been *s > theta > f.  I'm not aware of any European transcriptions that have a sibilant in Ofo that later became [f].