(Fwd) Re: Deictic motion verbs

Johannes Helmbrecht johannes.helmbrecht at sprachlit.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Feb 20 09:29:31 UTC 2007

Dear Jimm,

thank you very much for sending around this list with deictic motion verbs in
IOM. Most of the forms and meanings are quite familiar to me, because they have
obvious correspondences in Hocank. Taking Linda's systematic description of the
forms as a point of departure, it is easy to compare the deictic motion verbs
formally and semantically. The respective forms in Hocank are given in the table
below, which I adapted from Linda's dissertation (I hope you receive this table
uncorrupted). The forms behind the slashes are your IOM forms; (abbrev. DC =
deictic center, usually the speaker)

                           phase of motion

                                begin
                            be on the way
                                arrive

                           -motion toward DC
                                 [GO]
                         -motion towards base
                                rée/re
                                raahé
                                hii/hi

                         +motion towards base
                               keré/gre
                                karahé
                                gii/gi

                           +motion toward DC
                                [COME]
                         -motion towards base
                                húu/hu
                              huuhé/huhe
                                jíi/ji

                         +motion towards base
                                gúu/gu
                              guuhé/guhe
                               kirí/gri

Now, all forms in IOM have exact correspondences in Hocank except two of them,
the first one hire (go off; depart) and 10. gigre (go by; going away; be gone)). There is a verb in Hocank
hiiré 'to go by', 'to go through', 'to go to', which seems to be the cognate of the first form in your list. I suspect it does not
belong to the list of deictic motion verbs. At least in Hocank, we do not count is as a deictic motion verb (but who
knows). The second IOM form gigre has no direct cognate in Hocank (we have no similar form in the dictionary), but it
looks to me like a composition of gi-gre and gre corresponds in Hocank to kere (see the table!). I suspect the IOM gi- is
related to ki-(REFL)/ or gi- (BEN) in Hocank, but I have no oppinion about this.

Right now, Iren Hartmann (my research assistant) and myself are compiling a list of combinations of deictic motion
verbs with each other and with other verbs in order to find out somthing about the asymmetries in the usage (and
semantics, markedness, grammaticalization) of these forms in Hocank.

On the other hand the two forms I marked in blue in the table above are missing in IOM? These are
the 'being on the way' or 'progressive/ continuative' forms - certainly the marked forms (it is
obvious, that these forms are composed historically). Interesting, isn't it?

All the best,
Johannes

---------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht / Original message ----------