The Casa tribe, homeland, and language

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Feb 20 19:02:45 UTC 2007

I don't know that there are more than one or two words that might be "Ofo" before Swanton's field work.

The F phoneme in the Muskogean languages was bilabial in the days before English or French bilingualism.  Now it is labio-dental for virtually all speakers.  Swanton writes is like European F and doesn't find anything about it remarkable.

Interestingly, the Ofo terms for 'Frenchman' and 'American' are both hard to find sources for, but neither has an F.

As for the trajectory, we know that [s] varies with [theta] in some Siouan languages and that, even in English, [theta] and [f] are acoustically very close and easy to confuse.  There are dialects in which [f] and [v] are substituted for voiceless and voiced theta and also foreign pronunciations of theta in English words that do the same thing.  Russian speakers often substitute "vis" and "vat" for 'this' and 'that'.

Bob