Pronouncing ManiN'-ithaN'

Shane Henry shenry74 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 20:59:44 UTC 2007

Going back to an earlier question, in regards to the pronunciation of MaNniN'-ithaN'...

I wrote:
>>Amai ManiN'ithaN' : Moneton Country :  The reconstruction of the name is from the Southeast volume of the HNAI. How would it be spelled in regularized Tutelo/Virginia Siouan instead of phonetic notation? For all of the Virgina Siouan names, where do the stress marks go?<<

Bob responded:
>>This represents my work for Ives Goddard on this name.  It is not so much a "reconstruction" as a simple interpretation of the spelling in phonetic characters.  The name was parsed by the two gentlemen who discussed it in their travel journals.  Mani is 'water' and ithan is 'big' (related to Dakota thanka, etc.)  The "dephoneticized" way to write it would be "Moneton" or "Moniton".  Accent should be on the second syllable of both words in the native language.  In English it should be wherever you want it.  Personally, I put it on the 1st syllable.<<

More specifically, what I'm wondering is, does Virginia Siouan have compound words. That is, does "Moneton" represent MaNniN'ithaN' or MaNniN' IthaN'. And, if it does represent a compound, does the stress change, such as how "counterattack" has a different stress than "counter" or "attack". Also, in Virginia Siouan, if it were a compound, would there be any blending/contraction between the phonemes of the two words (e.g. between the /iN/ of /maNniN'/ and /i/ of /ithaN'/), such as MaNniNtaN or MaNnithaN?

Travis

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.