Autonym of Mosopeleas-Ouesperies-Ofos

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Sun Feb 25 00:42:11 UTC 2007

This is how I summarized it back in 2004 for the OED:

---

OFOGOULA  n.

 From a Mobilian-jargon or Muskogean name, which is a reanalysis as
'dog-people' (cf. Chickasaw ofi? 'dog,' Apalachee akola 'people') of a
non-Muskogean name of uncertain origin.

NOTE (speculative): the source may be an Ofogoula word in ofo- that was
derived from or is cognate with--by the regular loss of lexeme-initial
/m/ and /w/ in Ofogoula and by the change of Common Siouan *s to
Ofogoula /f/--an earlier name recorded as Mosopelea (and varr.) and
perhaps applied to the ancestral Ofogoula people when they resided
further north along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. Mosopelea is
probably an Illinois Indian name meaning literally 'deer-turkey' <
moonswa 'deer' + pile:wa 'turkey.'

Based on emails from Robt. Rankin (2 May 2004) and Michael McCafferty (4
May 2004), and on E. Drechsel Mobilian Jargon (1997) 318, J. M. Crawford
Studies SE Indian Langs. (1975) 89, and J. Swanton Indian Tribes Lower
Mississippi Valley (1911) 38.

---

Alan