Biloxi ball game

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Mon Jan 15 07:54:12 UTC 2007

The Poncas in Oklahoma play shinny on four Sundays in April, an old tradition.  It's kind of like field hockey, with curved sticks and two teams with goals at opposite ends of the field.  The ball is special and kept by the Martin Blueback family, the head of which officiates at the games.  Most of the players (all men, but of all ages) make their own sticks.  There are rules, but it can be a very rough game.  Uncle Parrish (my consultant) told me that at one time (within his memory) the Gives Water family held a shinny game every year that could be very rough, with the brothers-in-law playing against the sisters-in-law, but that's the only instance I've heard of women playing.

Kathy