Biloxi ball game

Carolyn Quintero cqcqcq1 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 18:59:07 UTC 2007

>>From the last Osage speaker that I consulted with:

ohkíce  N   1 goal, 2 the curved stick used to play kaçíni ‘shinny’
(03/23/95/FH/pc) .  This stick is for hitting the ball made out of buckskin
in the game of shinny which was declining in popularity in the early 20th
century, circa 1916.

                      La Flesche p. 171: ohkíce  LF orig. <u-Ði´-dse> a
goal, the goals in the game of shinny

kaçíni N  shinny, a team ball game played with a buckskin ball and sticks on
a field with goals at opposite ends

(kas^i'ni)

Carolyn Quintero

   _____